Mention the word “apps,” and you would immediately think of the various mobile app icons that are sitting on your smartphone.
Chances are that you are probably using a range of different apps to connect with the world, improve your personal productivity, or perform commercial transactions. Much as we find it challenging to live a day without our mobile phones, life without our favourite apps is probably unimaginable – be they social media apps, banking apps, shopping apps, or direction-finding apps.
What is app development?
Given the growing importance of apps, it is useful to understand how these nifty computer programmes are developed.
According to BuildFire, the app creation process is poetically defined as “both an expression of our self and a reflection of what we see is missing in the world.”
All apps begin with a great idea, and typically follows a development process that includes ideation, strategy, design, development, testing, and launch.
An app can be a mobile application, with the two most popular platforms today being iOS and Android. It can also be a web-based application, which works via a web browser on the smartphone or computer, and requires Internet access to function.
The growth of the app development industry
To say that the global app industry is booming is an understatement. The growth in the mobile app market is particularly exciting, with an estimated 197 billion consumer app downloads in 2017.
According to SensorTower, global mobile app revenue grew 35% in 2017 to nearly US$60 billion. App Annie estimates that global mobile app revenue will reach US$189 billion by 2020, up 2.7 times from US$70 billion in 2015.
What skills do you need as an app developer?
Other essential skills include:
- Knowing how to create a user interface
- An understanding of the software development process and life-cycle
- Having strong general computing skills, including database management and security
- Using analytical skills to determine users’ needs and design an app to suit them
To succeed as an app developer, you need to go beyond possessing strong technical skills. While these may be obtained with a degree in computer science or degree in mobile and web application development, soft skills are also crucial. Increasingly, employers value hires with strong creativity, problem-solving, and communication skills.
Key benefits of an app development career
- Enjoy strong career demand
As the world continues moving towards a digital and mobile-first environment, local and global demand for app developers will continue to soar in the years ahead. With the expected continued growth in the market, job prospects for an app developer remain rosy. With such evergreen and in-demand skills, you can expect to be upwardly mobile (pun intended).
- Exciting and dynamic industry
As a developer, you have to stay ahead of the trends and be in the know about new technologies, consumer behaviour, and user preferences.Beyond knowing how to code, you’ll find it exciting to read about the latest technology trends like Artificial Intelligence (AI), blockchain, the Internet Of Things (IoT), data analytics, and Cloud Computing, and incorporate these cutting-edge innovations in your add development work.
- Satisfying and transformative work
Being at the forefront of technology, app developers have the unique opportunity to reinvent and enhance the way people live, work, and play. From strengthening emotional and professional ties, streamlining work processes, to improving how information is captured and processed, mobile apps have transformed our world in uncountable ways.
- More job openings expected
In Singapore, companies are finding it difficult to fill vacancies for programmers like app developers. According to this article in The New Paper, there is great demand for IT talent and skills, and this has translated into higher wages.Furthermore, the Infocomm Media Development Authority (IMDA) is projecting some 6,000 positions to be created in 2017-2018 in roles like mobile application developers, web developers, and social media software developers.
Keen to make a difference in the world of technology?
Murdoch University offers a Bachelor of Science in Mobile and Web Application Development.
This major is designed to provide students with the skills and know-how in the field of programming and mobile application development.
It covers the design and management of web-based computing systems and mobile applications, and the development and maintenance of applications for the Internet and mobile devices.
Some of the core modules covered in the programme include:
- Advanced Web Programming – You will gain practical knowledge and experience in web application development, which is commonly seen as a good starting point for building programming expertise. You will also learn how to construct
interactive and data-driven web applications that are both efficient and scalable.
- Mobile Application Development – You will acquire skills in a variety of mobile development techniques and environments. Topics include app life cycle, small device programming, platform architecture including Google Android, Apple iOS, and Microsoft Windows Phone, web applications for mobile, and cross-platform development.
introduction to web security.
- IT Professional Practice Project – Students will get to work in groups to apply their newly acquired IT skills and approaches in solving complex real-world problems. You can further hone your teamwork, communication, and problem-solving abilities as you work with different team members from different IT majors. You will also pick up skills in project management through this practice-based module.
To find out more about Mobile and Web Application Development Bachelor’s Degree programme, register for a preview session or request for a prospectus here.